Medicare Paperwork


Frequently Asked Questions

Send an email if you couldn't find an answer to your question here.

Who should be the Certificate Manager (CM)–the doctor or the facility manager?

The CM can be the business owner, manager or the doctor (with a provider number). However if the CM does not have a provider number, then more paperwork is required, so often it is easier to make the doctor the CM.

What sort of IDs can the CM and/or the Authoriser provide?

If the CM or Authoriser has no provider number, he or she will need to provide one certified ID from the Primary Group and one certified ID from the Secondary Group. See the table below.

Make sure to include a deed poll or marriage certificate if there is a difference in name on these documents.

Primary Group

  • Australian Passport
  • Foreign passport
  • Australian driver license
  • Australian Government issued proof of age card/photo card
  • Australian secondary student identity document (issued by a government agency or Australian school only)
  • ImmiCard

Secondary Group

  • Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) issued Certificate or Document of Identity
  • DFAT issued United Nations convention travel document
  • Foreign government issued documents (e.g., driver licences)
  • Medicare Card
  • Enrolment with the Australian Electoral Commission
  • Security guard/crowd control photo licence
  • Evidence of right to a government benefit (Department of Veterans’ Affairs or Centrelink)
  • Consular photo identity card issued by DFAT
  • Police force officer photo identity card
  • Commonwealth or state/territory government photo ID card
  • Aviation Security Identification Card
  • Firearms licence
  • Credit reference check
  • Australian tertiary student photo identity document
  • Australian secondary student photo identity document
  • Certified academic transcript from an Australian university
  • Trusted referees report
  • Bank or Credit card
  • Other authoritative online sources of evidence verified by a Third Party Identity Provider
What if I cant provide 2 of the above stated forms of ID?

In this case, the CM must provide a Statutory Declaration explaining why the CM is unable to provide the 100 points ID.

Can anyone be the Acceptable Referee, perhaps another doctor?

Yes, another doctor can be the Acceptable Referee. On the Acceptable referee form on page 2, it lists all professions who can be the Acceptable Referee.

Can I have two different persons certify various documents?

Yes, you can have multiple people to certify your documents. However, you will need the certifier to complete an Acceptable Referee form.