Applying for a PKI (Location) Site Certificate

For hospitals looking to send claims electronically to the health funds

If you already have a Site Certificate, then this page doesn’t apply to you. Please let your Altura Health representative know, the page you need to be on is this one here (to link your Site Certificate to your new Minor ID).

Once you have completed all your forms, send them back to Altura Health. We will review them and then submit them to Medicare Australia for you.

Timeframe: Medicare Australia is currently taking anywhere up to 5-8 weeks to process and post your Site Certificate, while it takes them around 10 business days to process the paperwork to link your provider number to your minor ID.

Send your completed documents to Altura Health:
Fax: 02 9632 0096

Step 1 – Applying for a PKI Site Certificate

So that you, your facility can send claims electronically to the health funds, you will need to apply for a PKI Site Certificate, which is governed by Medicare Australia. A site certificate ensures that data that is transmitted between you and the health funds remains secure.

This part of the application (Step 1), takes approx 5-8 weeks for medicare to post you your PKI Site Certificate, it is an actual CD.

Print out the PKI Site Certificate Form
(HW025 – Hospital Site Certificate)

Below are some tips to help you complete the form.

  1. Certificate Manager section – you will need to elect someone in your organisation to be the contact person for your Site Certificate application. This can be a health practitioner, owner, or manager. However, Medicare will only talk with this person when relating to your Site Certificate.
  2. If the CM has a provider number, then please specify this in field 2 – ‘Provider Number’.If the CM you nominated has no provider number, he will have to submit additional IDs. See the FAQ below to learn which IDs are acceptable.
  3. Ensure to enter the ‘Minor Id’ – your Altura Health Sales representative can give you this, starting with “ADV0….”
  4. Health Sector Entity’s Details section – enter the facility’s details
  5. Ensure to put your facility provider number in field 10 – ‘Hospital/Day Procedure Centre facility ID’
  6. Location Details section – the ‘Location name’ – enter the facility’s trading name.
  7. Location Id (field 12) – is the Minor ID – your Altura Health Sales representative can give you this, starting with “ADV0….”
  8. If you already have a Site Certificate, in field 13 – ‘Does the Hospital/Day procedure Centre have an Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) Registration Authority (RA) number?’
    1. The tick Yes and enter your RA number.
    2. Otherwise tick No.
  9. Certificate Manager’s Declaration section – have the CM fill this entire section out
  10. Authoriser’s Declaration – This is based on your ABN as registered with the ATO, if the entity:
    1. is a sole trader, then the sole trader can complete this section
    2. is a private or public company, a director of the company must complete this section
    3. is a trust, one of the trustees must complete this section

Print out the Acceptable Referee Identification Form
(HW004 – Acceptable Referee Identification Form)

Below are some tips to help you complete the form.

  1. Applicant’s Details section – this is the Certificate Manager you elected on your Site Certificate Form in step 1 above.
  2. In field 3 – ensure to tick the appropriate option:
    1. If you are a sole trader or individual tick ‘A Site Certificate as a sole trader’
    2. If you are a business (ie. a Pty Ltd or public company) tick ‘A Site Certificate (non individuals)’
  3. Site/Organisation Details section – this is your organisation name. The registered name should be exactly as it appears based on the ABN.If you are a sole trader, then put your name as registered with the ATO. If you rent rooms at a practice, do not put their organisation name.
  4. Applicant’s Declaration section – this should be completed by the Certificate Manager, same as in the Applicants Details section above.
  5. Referee’s Details section – have someone other than yourself complete this. A list of authorised referees are shown on the left of page 2. It includes doctors, nurses, etc. He must not be someone from the same organization, nor can he be related to the Certificate Manager or the Authoriser.
  6. Referee’s Declaration section – have the referee from the above section sign this section

Attach IDs

You will need to provide some evidence, essentially documentation. Please review the information below to see which applies to you business entity type.

  1. If the Certificate Manager has no provider number, provide a copy of his IDs and have it certified by the Referee.
  2. If you trade under a Trust, also provide a certified copy of the First and the Last Page (signature page) of the Trust Deed.
  3. For all businesses or sole traders with a trading name:
    1. You need to provide a certified copy of the notice issued by the Registrar of the ABR bearing the business entity’s name, ABN and the Authoriser’s name as the business entity’s Public Officer;OR if unable to provide this
    2. A legal or regulatory document that proves the Authoriser has the capability to commit the business entity and the ABN (For example, a deed of appointment).

Step 2 – Linking Your Provider Number to Your Minor ID

Another part of the Medicare paperwork is linking your provider number to your Altura Health Minor ID (also called the location ID). Note that you can only link one software per hospital provider number.

This part of the application only takes 10 business days. We will check in with Medicare and ensure it gets processed, they don’t send any notification/email once they process the form.

If you are confused about which forms to fill out in order to link your provider number/s to your new minor ID, use this tool (Click here) to help figure it out.

Print out the Banking Form
(HW052 – Online Banking Form)

  1. Location ID – Fill in the Minor ID – your Altura Health Sales representative can give you this, starting with “ADV0….”
  2. Practice details section – Complete the Practice Details section. This is the hospital information. You need to fill out at least one of either the Practice details or Corporate details section.
  3. Corporate Details section – only complete this section if you belong to a group of hospitals. You need to fill out at least one of either the Practice details or Corporate details section.
  4. Bank Account Details section – Fill this section in. This tells Medicare where to deposit your payments and tick both ‘Medicare Bulk Bill’ and ‘Australian Childhood Immunisation register’ tickboxes.Take note of the effective date in field 11. Remember that you can only link one software per provider number, and after that date, you will no longer be able to use your old software to send claims for the provider numbers on this form.You may, however, use one software for IHC and another software for IMC.
  5. Payee Provider Details section – Simply write the hospital’s provider number in ‘Provider 1′ section and the ‘Provider’s Full Name’ is the Certificate Manager (CM), who applied for the Site Certificate originally. Then ask the CM to sign it.
  6. ALSO write next to the CM’s name their position (e.g. director, owner, manager, CM, etc.)NOTE: You do not need to write down each surgeon on this form, the hospital provider is enough.

Frequently Asked Questions

Send an email if you couldn't find an answer to your question here.

Who should be the Certificate Manager (CM)–the doctor or the facility manager?

The CM can be the business owner, manager or the doctor (with a provider number). However if the CM does not have a provider number, then more paperwork is required, so often it is easier to make the doctor the CM.

What sort of IDs can the CM and/or the Authoriser provide?

If the CM or Authoriser has no provider number, he or she will need to provide one certified ID from the Primary Group and one certified ID from the Secondary Group. See the table below.

Make sure to include a deed poll or marriage certificate if there is a difference in name on these documents.

Australian Passport

Primary Group

Foreign passport
Australian driver license
Australian Government issued proof of age card/photo card
Australian secondary student identity document (issued by a government agency or Australian school only)
Secondary GroupDepartment of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) issued Certificate or Document of Identity
DFAT issued United Nations convention travel document
Foreign government issued documents (e.g., driver licences)
Medicare Card
Enrolment with the Australian Electoral Commission
Security guard/crowd control photo licence
Evidence of right to a government benefit (Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink)
Consular photo identity card issued by DFAT
Police force officer photo identity card
Commonwealth or state/territory government photo ID card
Aviation Security Identification Card
Firearms licence
Credit reference check
Australian tertiary student photo identity document
Australian secondary student photo identity document
Certified academic transcript from an Australian university
Trusted referees report
Bank or Credit card
Other authoritative online sources of evidence verified by a Third Party Identity Provider
What if I cant provide 2 of the above stated forms of ID?

In this case, the CM must provide a Statutory Declaration explaining why the CM is unable to provide the 100 points ID.

Can anyone be the Acceptable Referee, perhaps another doctor?

Yes, another doctor can be the Acceptable Referee. On the Acceptable referee form on page 2, it lists all professions who can be the Acceptable Referee.

Can I have two different persons certify various documents?

Yes, you can have multiple people to certify your documents. However, you will need the certifier to complete an Acceptable Referee form.