Site Certificate Renewal

If you require Medicare to re-send your Site Certificate perhaps because your existing Site Certificate is about to or has expired or maybe you have misplaced your CD and/or password, then you will need to follow the steps described below.

Medicare should send you out a letter 2-3 weeks before your Site certificate is about to expire with instructions on how to renew your Site Certificate. If however 2 weeks before it expires, you haven’t received anything, then please follow the instructions on this page.

Please note that Medicare can take anywhere between 2-4 weeks to process your application and send out your new Site Certificate, which will arrive on a physical CD in the mail.

STEP 1 – Print out the Site Certificate Revokation Form
(HW003 – Site Certificate Revokation Form)

  1. Your Details section – this should be completed by the Certificate Manager (or Duly Authorised Officer (DAO)) who originally applied for the Site Certificate.
    If you are not sure who the CM/DAO is anymore, call Medicare on 1800 700 199 and press option 2. They should be able to give you the name of the CM/DAO.
    If the CM/DAO is no longer with the organisation, elect a new Certificate Manager and have them complete this section.
    If the CM/DAO has a provider number please enter this in field 7 – ‘Medicare provider number’.
  2. Current Public Key Infrastructure Certificate details
    Specify your ‘RA number’ in field 8. You can find this by visiting the Verizon website and searching by your organisation name. This image shows the location of the RA number in the search result:RA_ACSSIn field 9 – ‘What would you like to do?’, tick ‘Revoke and reissue your PKI certificate’. Then go to field 11.
    Ignore field 10.
    In field 11 – ‘What is the reason for the requested action’?, write your reason here, such as renewal or lost CD or password etc.
    In field 13, tick ‘No’, however if Medicare has given you a job number, enter it here.
    In field 14, tick ‘Site/organisation’.
    In field 15, tick ‘Yes’, if you are the original CM/DAO and tick ‘No’ if you are not.
  3. Site/organisation representative declaration section
    This is based on your ABN as registered with the ATO, if the entity:
    1. is a sole trader, then the sole trader can complete this section
    2. is a private or public company, a director of the company must complete this section
    3. is a trust, one of the trustees must complete this section
  4. Declaration section – this should be completed by the same person that completed the ‘Your Details’ section.

STEP 2 – Print out the Acceptable Referee Identification Form
(HW004 – Acceptable Referee Form)

If this is being completed for a sole trader with a provider number, then no need to complete this form.

But if it is under a private company or trust, then you will need to complete an Acceptable Referee Form.

  1. Applicant’s Details section – this is the Certificate Manager you elected on your Site Certificate Form in step 1 above.
  2. In field 3 – ensure to tick the appropriate option:
    1. If you are a sole trader or individual –  tick ‘A Site Certificate as a sole trader’
    2. If you are a business (ie. a Pty Ltd or public company) – tick ‘A Site Certificate (non individuals)’
  3. Site/Organisation Details section – this is your organisation name. The registered name should be exactly as it appears based on the ABN. If you are a sole trader, then put your name as registered with the ATO. If you rent rooms at a practice, do not put their organisation name.
  4. Applicant’s Declaration section – this should be completed by the Certificate Manager, same as in the Applicants Details section above.
  5. Referee’s Details section – have someone other than yourself complete this. A list of authorised referees are shown on the left of page 2. It includes doctors, nurses, etc. He must not be someone from the same organization, nor can he be related to the Certificate Manager or the Authoriser.
  6. Referee’s Declaration section – have the referee from the above section sign this section

STEP 3 – Certified Documents

You will need to provide some evidence, essentially documentation for Medicare to correctly identify you and/or the organisation. Please review the list below and see which applies to you and your business entity. Multiple could apply.

  1. If the Certificate Manager has no provider number, provide a copy of his IDs and have it certified by the Referee.
  2. If the Authoriser has no provider number, provide a copy of his IDs and have it certified by the Referee.
  3. If you trade under a Trust, also provide a certified copy of the First and the Last Page (signature page) of the Trust Deed. The Authoriser must be a signatory of the Trust.
  4. For all businesses or sole traders with a trading name, submit one of the following and have it certified by the Referee:
    1. A copy of the notice issued by the Registrar of the ABR bearing the business entity’s name, ABN and the Authoriser’s name as the business entity’s Public Officer;

      OR if unable to provide this

    2. A legal or regulatory document that proves the Authoriser has the capability to commit the business entity and the ABN (For example, a deed of appointment).

      The Authoriser must be listed as a director of the company.

STEP 4 – Submit the documents

Send your paperwork back to us using one of the following methods:

Fax: 02 9632 0096

Or you may send the paperwork directly to Medicare at If you want us to follow it up for you however, then you need to send it through us or copy us in when you email Medicare.


Frequently Asked Questions

Send an email if you couldn't find an answer to your question here.

Who should be the Certificate Manager (CM)–the doctor or the facility manager?

The CM can be the business owner, manager or the doctor (with a provider number). However if the CM does not have a provider number, then more paperwork is required, so often it is easier to make the doctor the CM.

What sort of IDs can the CM and/or the Authoriser provide?

If the CM or Authoriser has no provider number, he or she will need to provide one certified ID from the Primary Group and one certified ID from the Secondary Group. See the table below.

Make sure to include a deed poll or marriage certificate if there is a difference in name on these documents.

Australian Passport

Primary Group

Foreign passport
Australian driver license
Australian Government issued proof of age card/photo card
Australian secondary student identity document (issued by a government agency or Australian school only)
Secondary GroupDepartment of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) issued Certificate or Document of Identity
DFAT issued United Nations convention travel document
Foreign government issued documents (e.g., driver licences)
Medicare Card
Enrolment with the Australian Electoral Commission
Security guard/crowd control photo licence
Evidence of right to a government benefit (Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink)
Consular photo identity card issued by DFAT
Police force officer photo identity card
Commonwealth or state/territory government photo ID card
Aviation Security Identification Card
Firearms licence
Credit reference check
Australian tertiary student photo identity document
Australian secondary student photo identity document
Certified academic transcript from an Australian university
Trusted referees report
Bank or Credit card
Other authoritative online sources of evidence verified by a Third Party Identity Provider
What if I cant provide 2 of the above stated forms of ID?

In this case, the CM must provide a Statutory Declaration explaining why the CM is unable to provide the 100 points ID.

Can anyone be the Acceptable Referee, perhaps another doctor?

Yes, another doctor can be the Acceptable Referee. On the Acceptable referee form on page 2, it lists all professions who can be the Acceptable Referee.

Can I have two different persons certify various documents?

Yes, you can have multiple people to certify your documents. However, you will need the certifier to complete an Acceptable Referee form.